Often, business owners and managers leave tomorrow to take care of itself as they deal with what has to be done today.
The reality is that many start-up businesses fail within the first five years. Creating a strategic plan increases the odds of success by providing clear direction and the steps necessary to achieve a business’s goals. The process itself also pays dividends by:
- Revealing ideas gathered from employees;
- Motivating managers and employees through their participation;
- Capturing a common understanding of the company’s mission;
- Getting the whole team moving in the same direction;
- Building teamwork.
Completing the strategic plan also provides an excellent opportunity to
- Communicate the company’s direction on a broad basis to employees;
- Describe and emphasize the company’s values.
Your AZSBDC Business Analyst Can Work With You To:
Serve as an Outside Facilitator
- Keep the process forward-looking to long-term issues;
- Move participants out of the current, comfortable frame of thinking;
- Maximize participation in the process;
- Avoid having current crises slow down the process.
Assist with an Internal Analysis
- Help you assess the company’s:
- Financial history;
- Accomplishment history;
- Strengths and weaknesses;
- Existing resources;
- Current organization;
- Perceived existing problems.
Conduct an External Analysis
- Help you examine:
- Industry trends;
- Government policy;
- Sociologic and economic factors;
- The characteristics, strengths and weaknesses of each competitor;
- How the company measures up to its competition.
- Guide you in creating
- A Vision Statement that clearly describes what the company should look like in three to five years;
- A Mission Statement;
- Strategy, goals and action plans;
- Due dates;
- Assignments and delegation of tasks.
CLICK HERE to locate the AZSBDC location that is closest to you.
CLICK HERE to make an Online Request for Counseling
Guide To Small Business Planning
- Bringing Technology to Market
- Company Culture
- Operating and Growing a Small Business
- Strategic Planning